Wildlife of the San Francisco Bay Area
Local resources related to Wildlife in the San Francisco Bay Area
Northern Pacific Rattlesnake (the local race of the Western Rattlesnake), Mount Diablo State Park
There are some very informative websites created by individuals and local organizations which provide detailed information about the wildlife of a particular smaller region within the San Francisco Bay Area. If you know of any that are not listed here, please
Websites and Blogs
- Musings on Nature & Other Interests
- Birds, Photography, Art. Major focus on birds, especially Peregrine Falcons and San Francisco.
- Author: Glenn Nevill
- Los Farallones
- An account of the trials and tribulations of conducting ecological fieldwork on a small, rocky island (Farallon Islands) 28 miles west of San Francisco (37.7 N, 120 W).
- Author: Point Blue Conservation Science
- The Natural History of Bodega Head
- Primary focus is on Bodega Head, including Sonoma Coast State Park (Bodega Head, Bodega Dunes, Salmon Creek Beach), Bodega Marine Reserve, Bodega Harbor, and Doran Beach
- Author: Jackie Sones
- Wild Life in the North Hills
- Flora and Fauna of Claremont Canyon, Oakland, California
- Author: Kay Loughman
- backyard critter watch
- Amateur naturalists (from the East Bay hills) discuss the flora and fauna of the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Alameda Point Environmental Report
- Covering environmental cleanup, parks, and open space issues at the former Naval Air Station in Alameda.
- Author: Richard Bangert
- Lake Elizabeth, Fremont
- Photos of Birds, Insects and Flora around Lake Elizabeth
- Author: Alice Cavette
- Nature Notes from Livermore Area Recreation and Park District
- Several printable pdf guides.
- Monterey County - Birds, cetaceans, odes, herps and more
- A Portal to Natural History Information About Monterey County, California
- Author: Don Roberson
- Lovely photos and some articles, mostly from the Big Sur area.
- Author: Tim Huntington
- Dipper Ranch
- Sightings & Seasonal Changes on a Nature Preserve & Ranch in the Santa Cruz mountains.
- Author: Cindy Roessler
- Nature of a Man
- Posts from camera trapping and exploring in the Santa Cruz mountains.
- Author: randomtruth
- Hike reports, photos and sound recordigs, many in the Santa Cruz mountains.
- Author: Debbi Brusco
- Point Reyes Walkabout 2012
- Goal is to walk all 154 miles of trails in Point Reyes National Seashore to raise funds for the Point Reyes National Seashore Association.
- Author: Jules Evens
- Nature ID
- Created to learn more about the local natural world by documenting what, when, and where.
- Author: Katie based in Pacific Grove
- Alan Wight's Home Page
- Many photographs of Sonoma County wildlife, along with a few other locations.
- Author: Alan Wight
Other Local Resources
- Biological resources of the San Francisco Bay Area National Parks. A lot of detailed information about the wildlife of the local national parks from Point Reyes to Pinnacles.
- Map showing locations for "sensitive species" in the city of Palo Alto
- Map showing locations for "sensitive species" in the city of Mountain View