About This Website
sfbaywildlife.info presentation to Wilson Elementary School, San Leandro, Mar 2015
sfbaywildlife.info presentation to Green Team at Symantec Corp, Sept 2014
sfbaywildlife.info booth at Beaver Festival in Martinez, Aug 2014
Badger Spirit Award from Paula Lane Action Network, 2014
sfbaywildlife.info booth at Beaver Festival in Martinez, 2012
Wildlife sightings reported by attendees at Wildlife Education Day in Cupertino, Oct 2010
This website was created by Mihir and Ameet. Our passion for wildlife drove us to see the world; we now utilize the Internet to reach people across the globe and share this with them. This is one way that we can contribute to the preservation of the natural world which has provided us so much fun, adventure and opportunity to learn.
The idea for these kinds of websites - San Francisco Bay Area Wildlife, Yucatan
Wildlife and Peru Wildlife - was born out of
necessity. As we were doing research for our spring 2005 trip to the Yucatan
peninsula, we found out that it was difficult to get advance information to help
plan the trip. The information on the Web was hard to find and scattered across
many sources. The good information was mixed up with lots of not-so-good
stuff. We found something similar as we planned a trip to Peru.
This website - San Francisco Bay Area Wildlife - is focused on an area closer to home. It is intended to be a portal to useful and selected information
about the wonderful wildlife of the San Francisco Bay Area. These
pages are not expected to replace all the good information that is already out
there - and more is being added all the time. But they should provide a great starting point for an exciting journey into the natural world of the Bay area.
We would like to acknowledge the help of a few people who have helped with the website or events:
- Hilary Colbeth - California Newt, Sea Otter pages; Martinez Beaver Festival booth duty
- Charlie Chesney - White-tailed Kite page
- Carolyn Samuelson - California Wildlife Festival booth duty
- James Maxwell - Stevens Creek County Park page, Rancho San Antonio Open Space page
- Natalie Lightner - Yellow-billed Magpie page
- Carlos Garcia - San Francisco Gartersnake page
- Taylor King - Western Swallowtail Butterfly page, Las Trampas page, Rescue and rehab page
- Sohan Shah - Martinez Beaver Festival booth dury
- Maya Rahkonen - Online marketing
- Anisha Narayan - blog post, Lime Ridge page
- Alice Cavette - Insects page
- Lalitha - Wildlife Education Day booth duty and Reptiles page
- Ralph Albert - Wildlife Education Day booth duty
- Vivek Damodaran - Wildlife Education Day booth duty
If You Want to Help
We are looking for sub-editors for various sections of the site. If
you are interested in topics covered here and would like
to get involved, please get in touch by
with some details about yourself and your background. Also take a look at the internship opportunities. We look forward to hearing from you.
- We gave a presentation to Landscape Horticulture class, Merritt College, Oakland, Apr 2015.
- We gave a presentation to Wilson Elementary School and Jefferson Elementary School, San Leandro, Mar 2015.
- We gave a presentation on Wildlife of the Bay Area to the Green Team at Symantec Corp, 10 Sept 2014.
- We received the Badger Spirit Award from Paula Lane Action Network in August 2014. ...link
- We participated in the Martinez Beaver Festival, organized by Worth a Dam, 2 August 2014.
- We participated in the launch event for East Bay Puma Project at Sunol Regional Wilderness, 5 May 2013.
- We were contacted for guidance by the BBC Natural History Unit, March 2013
- We had a table at California Wildlife Festival, in Berkeley, organized by National Wildlife Federation California, 29 November 2012.
- We participated in Martinez Beaver Festival, organized by Worth a Dam, 4 August 2012. ...tweet
- We had a table at Martinez Beaver Festival, organized by Worth a Dam, 6 August 2011. ...photos
- We presented at the monthly meeting of the Stevens & Permanente Creeks Watershed Council, 1 June 2011.
- We had a table at Earth Week Faire, at Foothill College, organized by Gillian Schultz and the Sustainability Group, 20 April, 2011.
Read the blog post. ...link
- We had a table at Wildlife Eduction Day, organized by Santa Clara Valley Audubon, 23 Oct 2010.
Read the blog post. ...link
- We participated in Martinez Beaver Festival, organized by Worth a Dam, 7 August 2010. ...photos
- Launched blog, July 2009.
- Created Flickr group, June 2009.
- Started Twitter feed, May 2009.